Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Papal Vatican



Pics by Teliung
Vatican City

The Pope fell ill when I first arrived in Milano. The 3rd day I was in Geneve, I heard on TV that the Pope had died.

This Polish pope was one of the most open in terms of building relationship across faith and vocal against wars. The whole Italy was in mourning and it can be felt in Switzerland as well amongst the mostly Protestants Swiss.

I took a 5 days detour off Roma and Vatican City to avoid the 3 millions people fluxing these two cities during this time. Many catholics I met in Firenze, Venezia, Verona and Roma were part of these groups who couldn't enter the Vatican and Rome due to the curbing of visitors to the wake. While I was in the Vatican, I took a point to mail some postcards to office mates and to buy some stamps and first day covers. The Sistine Chapel was closed to tourists due to the voting of the new pope. If there is a consensus, a white smoke will be signaled from the Sistine Chapel tower. Everyone in line (behind me was this family from America and a padre from England)were busy discussing the voting process. From their conversations, it seemed even in religious institution there are major lobbying going on for who gets to be new pope.

I also came across the newly elected pope while observing the evening mass taking place that day. I think I snapped his pic somewhere.. I just have to find it! He was in cardinal color and leading the mass at that time. I found out the new pope was from Munchen on the train from Wien to Munchen - on my way to Bonn. Since I was heading to Munchen, imagine being overwhelmed by all sort of papers (distributed by train staff) in German touting the new pope who is from Bayern Munich..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home