Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Zermatt - Top of Europe

I love Zermatt! It's a wonderful vibrant place. It's bloody cold with lots of white fluff but I just love the ambiance. The minute one walked out of the train, you are there in amongst Gornergrad's glory.

Yes, Zermatt is dang expensive with all the snowbunnies and rich folks frolicking at its backyard, but I figured ordinary folks like me can try to "afford" it as well. There is a supermarket that open for a few hours which is quite affordable compared to the price thruout Europe, and the small hotel where I stayed was quite affordable where I made good fren with this lady from Holland. She was there for a skiing week and we shared a room to ourselves. It was fun talking about nothing and everything in general.. we stayed up until past 2AM I think. She asked me to visit her on my way to Amsterdam unfortunately due to limited timing, I couldn't. She also told me to come again to Zermatt next time for a skiing week with her.

The hotel which is right across the train station (I am lazy to look around :) also has a huge kitchen where one can cook and keep our groceries as well as a warm cozy living room to read or catch up with some news on TV. So we shared our morning breakfast, she contributing milk with muesli while I contributed fresh strawberries.

It was a cold freezing nite, while waiting for the internet terminal at the Brown Cow Cafe, I ordered a cup of hot coffee to eat with the Berry Kuchen and Chocholate berg truffle I bought at one of the many wonderful pastry shops on its main street. The Italian girl manning the kitchen was very nice albeit having no English skill at all. Somehow we managed to communicate. The small cup of coffee costed about 4 euro or more! The Swiss proudly does not use Euro, so everything was in Swiss franc which is more expensive than Euro. Fortunately this was offset by the nice businessman who offered me his terminal which has like 9 euro or more on it. I have always been blessed by good deeds by strangers and frens. There seems to be an Angel looking after me wherever I go :)

Gornergrad Zermatt - Top of Europe, SWITZERLAND


Pics by teliung

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home