Monday, May 02, 2005

The Girls of Gamla Stan

May 1st, 2005

Nobel Prize Girls


pics by teliung

Their names are Natasya and Nadhirah. Tasha and Thira for shorts.

Smart Malay Girls


Pics by Teliung

This duo are very smart and savvy girls, typical of most Malay girls :) (Everyone know by now Malaysia has more girls qualifying and attending tertiary education than boys, which aptly reflected in the index score of 119.4 female managers for every 100 male managers :) I am so proud of these girls. They reminded me of Aisyah and Iffa, Kak Ha’s daughters about the same age. They are about 12 and 10 and the daughters of Kak Ha’s friend and colleague, Johanif, the Director of Malaysia Tourism in Stockholm, Sweden.

The two girls accompanied me to Gamla Stan where we had such a fun day. They were street savvy and guided our way around town. We peeked from shops to shops for fun souvenirs to buy, I think our favourite was this flying cow at one of the stores. I didn’t buy it coz I was too lazy to carry it with me all the way to Amsterdam then to Bonn then to Paris..but I kinda regret it now :) Tasha and Thira pretty much try to convince me to bring the flying cow back to Malaysia (while I was quite sure it might originated from China..)

Flying cow!


Pics by Teliung

Tasha the eldest, almost a lady, was looking for some pink nail polish (nail polish reminds me of the girls now) and make up and very much into everything American – well she’s at that stage :), while her mother is trying very hard to instill in her the intrinsic beauty and value of our eastern, Malay culture. Thira on the other hand is not aware yet of the world of make up and feminine wiles. She is still an innocent, yet wise beyond her years at the same time.

On Sedad’s recommendation, we visited the Town Hall, Stadshuset, where the Nobel Prize ceremony is held, along the river with its two naked statues (took pics of the female naked statue especially for Khal :), passing the Malaysia TDC office and stopping by at the expensive shopping complex across the street.

Tourism Development Corporation Malaysia Office, STOCKHOLM

Pics by Teliung

I had to buy a bag for my guidebooks and paperstuff (city maps, eurail tickets, etc)..coz my small daypack was full. (I had conveniently left my backpack in Bonn – everyone know how lazy and lackadaisical I am with baggage.. I would leave them at train stations or airport unattended. When I go outstation for work, I would check in the notebook if I could!). The simple black canvas bag I ended up buying cost me over 20 euro.. in Malaysia, it would cost only 2-3 euro top! That nite I sew the Swedish flag on it and attached a Moose keychain to dress it up a bit to remember Sweden by. There is also this very quaint store that sells the cutest stuff and toys, I can't helped but brought a stuffed moose home, but the moose is lightweight and most importantly is so soft I can stuffed it in my small daypack :)

That was also the first time I realized how kids could really crammed on candies and chocolates - which Tasha and Thira “hoodwinked” me as being quite alright and normal. I was worried with all those sugar they were consuming while walking the cobbled street of Gamla Stan. Later on, I found out the mother would never allow them to eat that much candies! Between the two of them they must have consumed like 2 kg of candies within a 3 hour period, on top of the soda pops - courtesy of me!
(I thought they might saved some of the candies for later..but what do I know about kids!)

Barbie at the PC


Pics by Teliung

The third girl “Baby” reminded me of my niece Nina, for her cuteness factor (which Tasha and Thira didn't quite agree :) and passion in Barbies. While I was sending e-mails from their notebook, she was playing with this Barbie program on the PC. Since we were side by side, I got to play Barbie with her as well :) The fourth and youngest is also a girl, a diaper- wearing toddler – the real baby of the brood. She reminded me of Nabila (who recently called herself Bella), Kak Ha’s youngest.

Shy Malay Girls :)


Pics by Teliung

Sisterly Love


Pics by Teliung

It was relaxing and homely to spend those two nites with the Johanifs and be surrounded by kids. I also got to eat Nasi Goreng, Rendang Ayam and Ayam Masak Merah and this delicious Orange-Chocolate cake concoction, courtesy of Mrs. Johanif (the one with the baby), as well as did all my laundry, that I overlooked the fact that I didn’t get to try the boat hostel at all.. well there's always the next time :)

Pony tails :)

Pics by Teliung

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home