Sunday, June 26, 2005

Top Ten Countries and Nice Surprises

[ok..so I am biased, as an environmental scientist, I give more credits to beautiful nature and pristine undeveloped environment..]

1.Norway
(Norge - for its stark beautiful fjords and Flam). How I wished I could spend more time in Norway..I will come again soon.. in the Fall, as soon as Giulia found an unsuspecting Norge with a caravan :)

2.Slovenija
The whole country is compactly beautiful, quaint, as well as affordable. Surrounded by ski slopes mountains (Julian Alps)..that it does come to one’s mind that every Slovenian baby must be born with skis! And for beautiful Lake Bled, Most Na Soci and Lake Bohinj.. and vibrant happening town Llubljana. Llubljana is very beautiful, fun and efficient]. One can certainly forget time in Slovenija as what I did until I got the sms to go to Bonn!:)

3. Spain
For beautiful Al-Hambra (Granada) and Toledo. Spain shall always exceed your expectations. Great places to visit, helpful good looking folks with Antonio Banderas look alike ;), best train service and professional hospitality. I sorely missed the train captains who dotted on me from Gare Austerlitz, Paris to Madrid-Chamartin, and from Portugal to Milano - all Spanish trains.

4. Portugal
For Sintra and Cabo de Roca. I will definitely go to this area again. Don’t get deterred by the rather gloomy sceneries on the train to Sintra. The whole Portugal is depressed economically but Sintra with its fresh mountain air and the coastal area is heavenly..sigh.

5. Switzerland
For the Swiss Alps- Goldenpass Panoramic, Glacier Express and Bernina Express that took us through the Swiss-German, Swiss-French and Swiss-Italian all within 1 train ride)..ok so I love mountains!

6. Italy
For its ruins - Pallatine Hill, the Colleseo (both in Roma), and for Venezia, Tuscany and Umbria. Italians are rather scruffy and its major cities definitely will bore big holes in your pocket, but the ruins have no competition in Europe.

7. France
For Paris, the Lourve, Mont Marte and Notre Dame/ Latin Quarters/ Sorbonne). Great ambiance, antique architecture, elegant and sophisticated culture.

8.Croatia
For its beautiful Adriatic Coast and Spalator sunken Roman port and morning market with Lilies of the Valleys. Somehow I have a feeling that I was the only Asian to ever visit this town but folks are very friendly, albeit rather euro-hungry. As soon as you get off the ship, Croats landlords are all over you to offer rooms and accommodations.

9.Danmark
Vibrant Kobenhavn with its mixed population and an air of tolerance for all races, as well as handsome Vikings.. I am biased coz Viggo Mortensen is Danish ;)

10.Czech Republic
For beautiful and vibrant Praha, its friendly folks and serene country side.

Nice Surprises:
1. The whole Balkans (including Slovenija, Croatia, Bosna i Herzegovina – unfortunately I couldn’t enter Serbia due to needing a visa (too lazy to figure this out); I would be interested to see what FROM (Former Republic of Macedonia), Albania and Bulgaria are like.. these places definitely have characters.

2. Palermo, Sicily – I know a lot of ppl (including Italians and Sicilian transplanted in Rome) advised me against this place but I am glad I went..it is interesting.. eventhough I think the worst drivers in the world must be in Sicily! (as well as France!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home