Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Worst of Times

My worst time was probably in Roma (Rome) upon returning to Roma Central Station from the many city sightseeings, when trying to take out more cash, I found out I couldn’t take out any cash at all! I tried this at several ATM machines, and upon realizing I might have problem with my cash flow I was panicking for my first time in this travel ):

It was the worst of feeling.

After making a thorough cash-checked, I found out I had only 170 Euro in hands, with yet so many countries to cover.. Realizing I was in big trouble with only 15 minutes to make major decision (before the last train out and the station closing for the nite) whether to stay in Rome, continue with my first plan of going to Napoli (Naples- to see Paesthum and Pompeii – needing to spend more money..) or take the overnite train to Palermo, Sicily. I finally decided to be an adult ): (darn! can’t get my way all the time!) and had to settle on going straight to Palermo, first becoz I utilized 1 full travel day of my Eurail ticket with only reservation fee to pay for, and secondly, coz I can save on accommodation as I can overnite on the train. This was the best decision for me and one that I finally took. Yeah, I still feel bad for not having made it to Pompeii, Pastheum, Salerno and Napoli but consoled myself with “I don’t really have time to do it all and that I should probably come back again to see those places I have missed”.

I was so very relieved when the morning of arrival, upon checking the cash machine in Palermo, found out I could take money from the cash machine.. which I proceeded to withdraw as much needed for my whole journey, with pickpockets and vultures vying me left and right at the cash machines (yes, the tugs sent little kids to harass you for money while you are at the cash machine). What the heck..sometimes one has to live dangerously. Later on I saw a bunch of elderly tourists being rounded up and harassed by little kids who were trained pickpockets..luckily for them there was a policeman nearby.

I made sure I came back to Roma a second time on my way to Ancona (for Spalator and Mostar) to erase this terrible feeling I had that day when I thought my whole journey was doomed coz of that stupid cash machines in Roma Centrale!

Another potential disaster if not saved by Eva was when I arrived in Stockholm close to midnite without any Swedish Kroner nor a place to stay for the nite. Luckily, Eva (who was reading a book), was so nice to assist me all the way out and later on when we tried several places without success, offered to bring me home to her place :). Eva really was my angel that nite.. perhaps there’s a reason for her to miss her train.. and had to wait for the last train out ... probably to be there to “saved” me heh! :)

1 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger teliung said...

Hi Eva!

Guessed you are too shy to put your comment on the segment dedicated to you! :) That's why I said you are an Angel :)

May you get all strikes on the bowling alley!

Hugs,
Zai

 

Post a Comment

<< Home